By the end of the course owners should be able to:
- Have a basic understanding of how dogs learn.
- Have an understanding of how to train a dog in the simple commands of sit, stand, down, settle and wait and have successfully taught them to their dog.
- Have introduced walking on a loose lead.
- Have achieved success with the recall command at a short distance with a low distraction level.
- Developed the hand target and mat target.
- Introduced and developed the ‘leave’ and ‘drop’ command and understood when to use them.
- Grooming and examination of the dog are tolerated and hopefully enjoyed.
- Have developed some impulse control around their food bowl, greeting people and doorways.